By Eric Paysen, Ph.D., Technical Services Manager, Syngenta Professional Pest Management
With many effective formulations available to the modern pest management professional (PMP), it’s important to understand the advantages of different products in various situations. Integrated pest management (IPM) programs often underutilize dry flowable bait. This formulation, however, has several benefits for using across IPM protocols.
Complex pest environments in structural IPM include deep harborages and voids that are difficult to reach with sprayable liquids and gel baits. These harborages often contain high numbers of pests like cockroaches and are susceptible to continued reinfestation. Dry flowable bait is designed to drift deeply into these voids when applied with power dusters and handheld application devices that blow air. When a bait contains a balanced diet of carbohydrates, lipids and protein, it’s palatable to many insect pests and can potentially manage any insect with chewing mouthparts, including cockroaches, ants, crickets, earwigs and silverfish.
In addition to direct mortality from feeding, dry flowable bait leads to secondary control that’s enhanced in social pests like ants and cockroaches. This occurs through the same means as gel and granular baits (i.e., trophallaxis), and by feeding on the feces, vomit and affected carcasses. Dry flowable bait also contains small particles, which adhere to the exoskeletons of donor pests. This leads to additional control when pests feed and groom each other. This is common in cockroach nymphs, which seldom venture far from harborages but do feed on and groom donor adults that have traveled through treated areas.
Dry flowable bait can enhance indoor IPM programs and is a strong addition to protocols using liquid residuals, gel baits and glue board traps. It can replace most traditional dust applications indoors and enhances pest mortality as a non-repellent bait. Target areas within clean-out or maintenance service visits should include:
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinetry, including the false bottom behind the toe kick and voids between cabinet boxes, walls or appliances (these areas may require a drill to make small access holes)
- Cracks, crevices and voids
- Motor housings of appliances
- Compressor areas of refrigerators and freezers
- Wall voids near plumbing penetrations
- Outlets, switch boxes and conduits
- Sink and drain surrounds
Using dry flowable bait outdoors can benefit perimeter programs containing residual liquids and granular baits/insecticides. As with indoor applications, the primary targets are cracks, crevices and voids. Any structure opening accessible from the outside is a candidate for an application. Prime areas to consider include the openings around door and window casings, plumbing and electrical penetrations through exterior walls and foundation settling cracks in concrete and block construction. Additionally, spot treatments can be made directly to ant trails, which may be more effective than liquid residuals for getting the active ingredient back to the nest.
With the creation of Advion® MicroFlow insect bait, Syngenta continues its commitment to providing solutions for PMPs and their customers. This innovative product offers:
- Larger particles mixed with a gradient of finer particles to notably increase ant foraging and appeal to a variety of pests
- A flexible labeled rate that allows for liberal applications in voids to eliminate pests like ants and cockroaches where they harbor and multiply
- The MetaActive™ effect, found in all Advion brand products, which activates indoxacarb once ingested by target pests, leaving non-target organisms largely unaffected
- Packaging designed for large-scale use with power dusters, as well as small-scale bellows and bulb dusters
Adding dry flowable bait to your IPM plan can help ensure your customers get outstanding control of hard-to-reach pests. For more information, visit SyngentaPMP.com/AdvionMicroFlow or contact your local Syngenta territory manager.
© 2022 Syngenta. Important: Always read and follow label instructions. Some products may not be registered for sale or use in all states or counties and/or may have state-specific use requirements. Please check with your local extension service to ensure registration and proper use. Advion®, For Life Uninterrupted™, MetaActive™ and the Syngenta logo are trademarks of a Syngenta Group Company. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Syngenta Customer Center: 1-866-SYNGENT(A) (796-4368).